Port Arthur & Lavender Farm Tour
Explore, discover and learn about Tasman Peninsula with our guides as we enjoy a variety of activities, wander the Lavender fields, sample the Lavender flavored chocolate and fudge, sightseeing, history, and much more!
What makes it Great:
- Explore the Port Arthur Lavender Farm
- Enjoy stories from Pirates Bay Lookout & The “Dogline”
- See Tasman National Park highlight, the Tasman Arch
- Sample local chocolates made at Federation Chocolate Factory and visit the historic Richmond Village
- Enjoy the spectacular view at a local Hobart City lookout
- Port Arthur Historic Site entrance fee
- Guided walking tour of Port Arthur Historic Site
- Port Arthur Harbor Cruise
- Professional guides & interpretation
- Small, friendly groups
- Central Hobart Hotel & Backpacker Hostel pick up and drop off
- Airport drop offs on request with prior arrangement
Departure times & locations
- Departs: Hobart 7.30am
- Returns: Hobart 6.00pm
- Pick up time: We offer a central city hotel or backpacker hostel pick up from 7.00am to 7.30am depending on your location
Your day at a glance:
Today is action packed and fast paced, so we make an early start from Hobart and drive directly to the stunning Tasman Peninsula. This area has amazing history, fascinating stories and spectacular scenery. It is also home to Australia’s highest sea cliffs. We enjoy the panoramic views of the area from Pirates Bay Lookout which provides a great vantage here of the surrounding area.
Passing through Eaglehawk Neck and “The Dogline” our Tour Guides will share with you some truly amazing history and stories of the area.
Then we begin one of Tasmania’s “Great Short Walks”. We follow a spectacular track, of around 2 km’s along the Waterfall Bay cliff top. The walk takes around 45-60 minutes, is undulating, but categorised as an easy walk. The track concludes at the remarkable rock formations of Tasman Arch and Devil’s Kitchen.
Continuing our journey, we arrive at the Port Arthur Lavender Farm. Enjoy a short stop here to wander the Lavender fields, view the distillery, or head straight for the Lavender inspired sweets and treats in the Cafe and Gift shops.
Next stop for the day, is the main highlight the Port Arthur Historic Site. The site hosts a wealth of information and history to take in and you will have ample time to explore and discover the nooks and crannies with around 4 hours on site. Your entry includes a complimentary Harbour Cruise around the Isle of the Dead and a guided walking tour with one of the Site’s expert guides. Discover the grim and violent history of the early Australian Penal system and get a sense of the isolation experienced by the convicts in this “inescapable prison”. You have ample time to walk amongst the main penitentiary; see the solitary confinement cells and many more buildings in this World Heritage open air museum.
On our return to Hobart, we make a stop at Federation Chocolate Factory, a small family run boutique chocolate stop, with a variety of chocolate flavours to sample. Further along we arrive in the late afternoon into historic Richmond Village. Meander the streets, stop for a coffee, visit the Lolly Shop and walk across Australia’s oldest bridge still in use – a convict built sand-stone bridge, reported to be haunted!
Finally, before we re-enter Hobart we stop for a fabulous view across Hobart from a local lookout. A picturesque way to return to the city.
Things To Bring
- Sensible shoes for day touring
- A variety of warm clothing
- Weatherproof jacket if possible
- Hat, sunscreen
- Water Bottle, Snacks, Lunch (or buy it on the day)
- Sense of adventure
Minimum age to participate in tour is 8 years. Participants aged 8 – 17 years travel at concession prices.
Instant Booking & Mobile Friendly Tickets
Check availability & book here to secure you spot on Port Arthur & Tasman Peninsula Tour. Pre-booking is essential. Please do not turn up on the day without a booking.
If you require hotel transfers please have your hotel name ready when booking so we can send you a pick-up time with your confirmation.
We offer a Hobart central city hotel or backpacker hostel pick up from 7.00am to 7.30am depending on your location